August 25, 2020
Bulletproof Your Database Upgrades to Oracle Database 19c - Charles Kim, ViscosityNA
This month's meeting will be via Zoom Click HERE
Would you like to hear from someone with loads of Hands-on Experience in upgrading and patching to 19c? This month, my good friend Charles Kim will be joining us to do just that.
Companies can recognize immediate ROI by upgrading to Oracle Database 19c, especially those who are still running on legacy databases that will go out of premier support this year (11.2) or next year (12.1).
As part of this Oracle Database 19c Hands-On Experience, attendees will learn the intimate details of upgrading databases to Oracle Database 19c. Come learn what it takes to upgrade to Oracle Database 19c from earlier Oracle database versions 11.2.0.x/12.1.0.x./12.2.0.x. More importantly, come learn all the best practices for upgrading your databases to Oracle Database 19c.
Attendees will learn how to perform database upgrades leveraging the following methods and why you should choose one over the other:
The Hands-On Upgrade Experience will encompass the following:
- AutoUpgrade method
- DBUA in silent and GUI method
- Command-line hard core dbupgrade method.
Charles Kim is an Oracle ACE Director, VMware vExpert, an Oracle Certified DBA, Certified Exadata Specialist, and a Certified Oracle Linux, Oracle Cloud, and RAC Expert. He was selected into the Oracle ACE Program in May 2008, has been an Oracle ACE Director since December 2009, and a VMware vExpert since 2013.
- Installing Oracle Database 19c software - Learn how to install the base Oracle Database 19c software and apply the Release Update and even apply the one-off patches in a single command in silent mode
- Patching the database software to the latest Release Update
- Performing pre-upgrade tasks prior to the database upgrade - Additional scripts will be provided to attendees for performing pre-installation checks
- Upgrading an Oracle 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206 database to Oracle Database 19c with the latest RU
- Performing post-upgrade tasks after the database upgrade
- Learn how to perform AutoUpgrades to Oracle Database 19c
Charles specializes in Cloud, Exadata, RAC, and Virtualization (VMware, KVM, and Oracle VM) and co-authored ten books around the Oracle EcoSystem:
Charles is the Founder and CEO of Viscosity North America, a highly specialized niche consulting organization comprised of industry experts in Oracle RAC, Oracle Cloud, Virtualization and Engineered Systems.
- Oracle Cloud Pocket Reference Guide - A Handbook on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure
- PDB Me to Oracle Cloud - A Lazy DBA's Guide to Mastering Multi-Tenant
- Exadata Expert Handbook
- Oracle Database 11g New Features for DBA and Developers
- Linux Recipes for Oracle DBAs
- Oracle Data Guard 11g Handbook
- Virtualizing Business Critical Oracle Databases: Database As A Service
- Oracle ASM 12c Pocket Reference Guide
- Virtualizing Hadoop
- Solaris and Linux Recipes for Oracle DBAs
Charles often sits on Oracle expert panels at VMware World and Oracle OpenWorld for virtualization and Linux. Charles was a founding member of the virtualization SIG launched at OpenWorld2011.
With over 28 years experience on mission and business critical databases, Charles presents regularly at local, regional, national and international Oracle conferences including IOUG Collaborate, VMware World, RMOUG, UKOUG, New Zealand/Australia Oracle User Group, and Oracle OpenWorld on topics of Oracle Cloud, RAC, Exadata, Database Consolidations, Private Database Cloud, ASM, Linux Best Practices, Data Guard Best Practices, Performance Tuning, VMware Virtualization Best Practices, and 7x24 High Availability Considerations.
For information on usual meeting locations and times as well as previous
meeting minutes and presentations please refer to the
For further information or enquiries regarding meetings please
contact the SOUG meeting coordinator.